2.04.2012

CARROTS, BEETS AND TURNIPS

Yesterday was the bi-monthly organic vegetables delivery from the Cipanas Organic Farm, and I discovered that I had received beets, carrots and turnips (I love just being surprised by what they're harvesting!).
I usually eat my beets pre-cooked in salads and my turnips in a french beef soup (Pot au Feu), but this time, I felt like doing things differently so I went online and checked out some recipes.

I remember seeing somewhere that you could mix potatoes and turnips into a mash, so I did just that:



POTATOES AND TURNIP MASH

4 potatoes
1 large turnip (lobak)
2 tbsp of unsalted butter
3/4 cup of milk
a dash of cream
salt and pepper

Slice the potatoes and turnips and cook in boiling water for around 20 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain the water and start mashing with a potato masher. Add the butter, salt and pepper, milk and cream. Taste and add according to your liking.

The great thing about potatoes and turnip mash is that your child doesn't even realize that he's eating a vegetable high in vitamin C :)

I also wanted to try roasting beets, so I discovered a video of Jamie Oliver where he did just that and kind of inspired myself from it:



ROASTED CARROTS AND BEETS

6 organic carrots, cut around 2cm thick
3 small beets, peeled and cut in half
olive oil
salt and pepper
balsamic vinegar
juice of 1/2 orange
garlic
herbs (thyme, mint, oregano, rosemary, lavender)

Preheat your oven at 220 degrees celsius.
Mix your beets and carrots separately.
Beets: mix with salt, pepper, dash of balsamic vinegar, lavender/rosemary, garlic and olive oil.
Carrots: mix with salt, pepper, juice of 1/2 and orange, thyme/mint, garlic and olive oil.
You can put your carrots and beets in one tray but try to separate them.
Cook for about 45 minutes (you may want to cover with aluminum foil if it takes too long to cook. They should be between crunchy and tender after the allotted cooking time.
Sprinkle some feta cheese on top before serving.


Eat with roasted chicken!