6.09.2011

TEARJERKER TED TALKS

I haven't had much time lately to update this blog because of work and other personal activities. However, I have had time to listen to a couple of TED Talks on my way to the office. My iPod is a trusty companion in my car, especially when I'm stuck in traffic...

The last 2 talks that I listened to were so good but I shouldn't have listened to them before coming to the office because my eyes were puffy after so much crying. These talks below have opened my eyes - Roger Ebert's talk reminded me to be grateful and always stay positive during hard times and Sam Richards' talk taught me about how to put yourself in someone else's shoes and how empathy could most probably save the world from destroying each other.


From the TED website: When film critic Roger Ebert lost his lower jaw to cancer, he lost the ability to eat and speak. But he did not lose his voice. In a moving talk from TED2011, Ebert and his wife, Chaz, with friends Dean Ornish and John Hunter, come together to tell his remarkable story.


From the TED website: By leading the Americans in his audience at TEDxPSU step by step through the thought process, sociologist Sam Richards sets an extraordinary challenge: can they understand -- not approve of, but understand -- the motivations of an Iraqi insurgent? And by extension, can anyone truly understand and empathize with another?