5.22.2011

MAKING PASTRIES

I was going to post about great pastries I tried and wanted to recommend to you when I saw Jordan Ferney's pictures of a boulangerie (pastry shop) she's crazy about and posted on her blog a couple of days ago. I melted when I saw the photos... I wish I could hop on the first plane and eat all the bread and cakes there :)

But anyway, back to pastries, I've been indulging myself with those made at Ranch Market Pondok Indah... They're gorgeous! Not cheap, but really delicious, just like the real stuff in France.... Their pain au chocolat and croissants are heavenly (especially the pain au chocolat with chocolate coating!). If you do decide to go there, ask them to heat the pastries up because they're much better when eaten hot. And if you buy them to take home, heat them up in the oven for 5-10 minutes or on top of a toaster :)

Now, if you feel like making your own pastries, I have a really simple recipe for you:

POCKET PIES
1 defrosted puff pastry (found at Titan Baking Shop, Jl. Fatmawati)
1 cup chocolate chips/fresh berries/cooked apples & cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius
Cut the puff pastry into 10cm x 10cm. Press each square into a cupcake holder and put inside a cupcake tin (if you have). Drop in a heaping teaspoon of chocolate chips or berries or cooked apples. Take the corners of each pastry and fold down over the filling. Pinch together to seal. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the pies and cool before eating.

Recipe from "The Family Dinner" by Laurie David


If you wanna see more amazing photos of the boulangerie and what's inside, just click here!